Sunday, March 17, 2013

Peanut Butter Cups


 I've been on this gluten-free kick for a while and although I don't mind it, I sometimes find it hard to resist baked goods, which usually include a plethora of gluten! As a result, I decided to bake a sweet treat sans gluten: Peanut butter cups! I adapted the recipe slightly from: The Sweetest Kitchen. For the filling, I used a mixture of natural peanut butter and almond butter; however, if you like the sweetness of Reese's Pieces, then I recommend using regular peanut butter, such as Kraft. I also used 3 tbsp sugar and 3 tbsp of powdered sugar for the filling, but I read somewhere that if you like the grainy texture of Reese's Pieces, then you should use 6 tbsp brown sugar and no powdered sugar.


Here's what you'll need for the chocolate:

9 squares of Baker's semisweet chocolate (or 9 oz of any chocolate)
2 large tbsp of peanut butter
pinch of salt

Here's what you'll need for the filling:
1 cup of peanut butter
6 tbsp light brown sugar or powdered sugar
2 tbsp graham cracker crumbs, optional
pinch of salt


In a microwaveable-safe bowl, melt chocolate, 2 large tbsp of peanut butter, and a pinch of salt (about 2.5 minutes, but stop to stir in between).

Place ~2 tsp of melted chocolate in each muffin liner. Using the back of a spoon, spread the chocolate along the bottom and 1/4 of the way up the muffin liner. Place in the freezer or fridge for ~15 minutes or until the chocolate is firm.


While the chocolate is firming up, you can prepare the filling by stirring together the peanut butter, sugar, graham cracker crumbs (again, these are optional), and salt. Once, the chocolate is firm, you can place a large tbsp of the filling in each muffin liner and press it down gently. Place in the freezer or fridge for another 15 minutes.


Now, the final stage. Top each liner with 2 tsp of melted chocolate (or may have to re-heat the bowl of chocolate in the microwave). Spread carefully until you can see none of the filling.


Put the peanut butter cups in the fridge for an hour before eating. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.

Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. So, my boyfriend Dan just informed me that he thinks the PB cups would taste better with regular (i.e., sweetened) peanut butter rather than natural. I like the natural, but it's definitely not for everyone!

    ReplyDelete