Sunday, June 7, 2015

Nutella Cinnamon Muffins



I never eat nutella, but it was on sale to the grocery store last week, so I found myself buying a big container of it, knowing that I could use it to bake with. 

After searching around, I came around this recipe by Sally's Baking Addiction, and decided to give it a try. I basically followed her recipe with no real adaptations besides using salted butter and no additional salt. 

They turned out really good, and make a great Sunday morning treat with a big cup of coffee (and yes, we put butter on all of our muffins —even when they are stuffed with chocolate!). 




And because I can't resist, here's a photo of my little muffin watching me bake :)






Here's what you'll need for the muffin:

1/3 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1 1/2 cups AP flour (you can also use whole wheat)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
8-10 tsp nutella

Here's what you'll need for the topping:
3 Tbsp butter, melted 
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, and grease a muffin tin.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in the egg, vanilla, and milk. Stir in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg, trying not to overmix the muffin batter. 

Place approximately a large tablespoon of batter in each of the muffin tins, then place a teaspoon of nutella on top of that. Finally, place another large tablespoon of batter on top. Basically, this results in three layers: Muffin batter, nutella, muffin batter. I got 9 muffins. 





Bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 425 degrees F, then keep the muffins in the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F, baking for an additional 13-15 minutes. 

Allow the muffins to cool for five or so minutes.

While the muffins are cooling, mix up the sugar and cinnamon topping in one bowl, and have the melted butter in another bowl. 

Dip the tops of each muffin in the butter, then swirl them around in the sugar-cinnamon topping. 




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment