Monday, June 1, 2015

Sweet Potato Brownies






So, I've been eating A LOT of sweets lately—opps! Anyways, needless to say, my stomach has been a little bit off, so I wanted to make something that was healthy but would still satisfy my sweet tooth. I saw a recipe for Sweet Potato Brownies on Julie Bauer's PaleOMG.com blog and decided that that sounded perfect. I tweeted a few little things based on the ingredients that I had on hand, but the recipe is very similar to hers.

Here's what you'll need:

1 large sweet potato (peeled, boiled, and mashed)
3 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (I'm sure butter or any other oil would work too)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 Tbsp almond flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup carob nibs (chocolate chips work too)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease an 8 x8 inch baking pan.

Mix together the mashed sweet potato, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Then, add in the dry ingredients: Almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix everything together until well combined.

Pour the batter into the greased baking pan and pop in the oven for 35 minutes.

I added a melted chocolate topping to mine (I melted carob nibs and a splash of almond milk in the microwave for a minute) and sprinkles of sea salt.

Delish!! I also bet a scoop of french vanilla ice cream would be ah-mazing on these ;)




* Just a quick note: I made another batch of these, but added 1/2 cup of almond flour, rather than 3-4 Tbsp and they turned out a bit better. The brownies were less gooey, but still super moist.

Also, as a topping on my second batch, I tried 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and 1/2 cup dark chocolate melted in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (stirring every 30 seconds), which was great!



No comments:

Post a Comment